Discovery trail, nature and heritage
A suggestion for a journey
The Bon Nant
Who is it? Bon Nant, the torrent which source is located in the heart of the nature reserve of Contamines-Montjoie. To discover it, go to panel 2!
The main historic events of the village
The call of the mountains
The face of Les Contamines
Evidence of the glacier's activity
Life at all levels
The land of mountain ungulates
Discover which species are living here! To do so, go to panel 9!
At grass level
A mountain of feathers
The nature reserve
The roman route
Before the Roman invasion, Val-Montjoie was home to Ceutrons, a Celtic tribe practicing livestock breeding. For their cheese production, they imported salt from Moutiers via the Col du Bonhomme mountain pass. They participated in the establishment of these routes leading to Italy, which were taken by the Romans during the invasion of the Alps.
Observe the section of Rochassets, it was carved in the rocks in order to create a passage for the charriots!
Notre Dame de la Gorge
- Reach the hiking trail by Chemin des Crueys and go down.
- At the crossroads and turn left.
- Pass next to of the first panel presenting the entire discovery route, then continue straight ahead.
- Cross the road to Nant Fandraz and follow the signs for the discovery trail.
- Cross a bridge and turn right. Then continue straight ahead.
- Cross the paved road called Chemin des Echenaz, and follow the direction of Notre-Dame de la Gorge on the hiking signs. The discovery trail markings also lead you in the same direction.
- Cross the bridge over the Nant Rouge torrent and continue straight ahead.
- At Pont du Lay, turn left to cross the bridge, then turn right immediately after the bridge. The hiking signs lead you in the direction of Notre-Dame de la Gorge.
- Cross the Moranches bridge and pass near the Centre nordique parking. Take the trail to Centre de loisirs and continue straight ahead.
- Pass near the Parc de loisirs at Le Pontet. Continue straight ahead towards Notre-Dame de la Gorge.
- Arrival at Notre-Dame de la Gorge. End of the discovery trail. Return by the same route in the opposite direction.
Access and parking
In the center of the village, follow the sign Office de Tourisme.
Park at the parking lot just near or below the large Tourist Office - Town Hall - Espace nature au sommet.
Report a problem or an error
If you have found an error on this page or if you have noticed any problems during your hike, please report them to us here: